|St. John's Diocesan Girls' H.S. School,Kolkata stjohndiocesan.in|
St. John's Diocesan Girls' school, one of the oldest girls' schools in Calcutta (Kolkata), West Bengal, was
|Angelina Margaret Hoare ,cnicalcutta.org|
founded in 1876 by one Angelina Margaret Hoare (17 May 1843 – 10 January 1892), a devoted British missionary from Kent, England along with Ms. Millman, missionary from England. It was located at Elgin and Sarat Bose Roads in South Calcutta. Apart from doing missionary work, Angelina paid serious attention to the advancement of woman's education in British India so that she could read and write, face challenges in her society independently and help other women come out of the conservative closet and lead their lives with confidence. This way women would be of immense help to their families, neighbors, communities and the nation.
|Kolkata. St. John's Diocesan Girls' H.S. School,campus en.wikipedia.org|
With respect to admission to the school, initially, Ms. Angelina Hoare had poor response from the local community and had to be content with few students. In those olden days, in the conservative society, girls had no access to basic education in many parts of India. However, over a period of time, the school grew in stature; so was the number of girl students getting into the school. That it became the only reputed Christian woman's institution in the entire NE India from 1908-31 bears testimony to the hard work and dedication shown by the teachers and the school management of St. John's Diocesan school.
Ms. Angelina was a woman of foresight, vision and above all catholicity. She was of the strong opinion that the school belonged to all people in the society regardless of social status or group. One could understand her true belief about the Diocean School from her letter to her brother in England. She died in 1892 when she was just 48 years old.
Unfortunately, the school earned the ire of the British government in the wake of a serious incident againt the government. A student of this school, one Beena Das (who happened to be a freedom fighter) on 7 April 1931 shot the then Governor, Stanley Jackson. This resulted in the loss of recognition of the status of the school by the British Government. During its earlier days till the 1970s it was a coeducational institution and after1970s, it has become exclusively a girls' educational institution, devoted to their advancement and better educational opportunities.